Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm losing my hair....

The saying goes that when your baby starts drooling, the mother will experience hair loss. This seemed so for me right now. Instead of the usual few strands of hair, I am losing triple the amount each time I washed and combed my hair. Everywhere I look, I can see few strands of hair on the floor, bed, pillow, chair and even on the food I prepared. I miss those days when I was preggie...so much of hair and it bounces when I walk, so nice....

I read about post-natal hair loss online and it seems that this condition is normal. Why hair loss after childbirth? This is so as during pregnancy, a rise in hormones keeps our hair from falling out. After delivery, our hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels. Thank goodness, hair loss is a temporary condition and it returned to normal after few months of hair loss everyday.

Women are said to be at their most radiant when they’re expecting. A full head of beautiful hair, a face glowing with bliss and happiness…these women should have no worries in the world at all. So why do they have to put up with hair loss? After childbirth, because of the massive amount of blood lost as well as the major changes in the blood circulation and metabolic rate, the hormones will struggle to readjust. 3 to 5 months after delivery, about 30% of hair may be lost. Similarly, these women will also experience hair loss, due to poor stamina and health after childbirth.

On a whole, hair lost will start to grow back after 5 months or so. But, if your hair continues to fall out after the 5-month period or if you’re starting to see your scalp a lot more than you should, then this is something you shouldn’t ignore! This will make you look old and haggard and not the slightest bit like a new mum. Besides that, your hair loss might become a permanent problem…by then it’ll be too late to regret not taking prior action!



1 comment: